Sunday, November 29, 2015

World Series: Did You Know?

My parents, and my grand parents (On my father's side), were all born on years where at least one Chicago team played in the Fall Classic.

My grandfather was born in 1906, and became a Brooklyn Dodgers' fan in the late 40s or early fifties. He was very happy to see them finally win in 1955, but the excitement was short-lived. My father's Yankees took their revenge the following season (Thanks in large part to Don Larsen's perfect game in game five). The Dodgers didn't even reach the Fall Classic in 1957, and were off to Los Angeles (Sans Roy Campanella, who was paralyzed in a car accident) the next season. While the Dodgers won in 1959, by grandfather no longer cared for them. His heart was in Brooklyn, and there no more Brooklyn Dodgers to cheer for. And there were also no more New York Giants to cheer against. At least in baseball.

But the year my grandfather was born was the first subway Fall Classic. Both Chicago teams made it. It was, however, the junior circuit version of the windy city that won it all. But the Cubs were undaunted by the setback.



My grandmother was born in 1908. I'm not sure what (If any) baseball team she rooted for. However, she was born during a great time to be a Chicago Cubs' fan. They won in 1907 over the Detroit Tigers, and were back the next season. Ty Cobb's Tigers were also back, but this one wasn't in doubt, except in the first game. For 12 innings the two teams battled neck-and-neck. However, time (Rather, sunlight) ran out, and the game ended 3-3.



The next four games, however, were all Chicago's. The Cubs have never won it again as of this writing.

The Cubs played in their last World Series to date in 1945, which happens to be the year both of my parents were born. It was a rematch of a Fall Classic the Cubs had won in 1907 and 1908. Detroit, however, had beaten Chicago in their next meeting, in 1935. That one went six games.



The 1945 World Series was even closer. It went all the way to a game seven. But it was an anti-climatic game seven. The Tigers scored five runs in the top of the first inning, and were on cruise control the rest of the game, which ended 9-3.



My father went on to become a Yankees fan during the Mickey Mantle Era of the 1950s and 60s with the Yankees. But my mother never became a baseball fan. My older brother, born in 1977, became a Toronto Blue Jays in the 1980s. Ironically, Toronto's first season was '77. Their first game? Chicago White Sox, of course. I was born in 1980, Philly and KC in the final round. My younger brother was never quite a baseball fan.

However, baseball, try as I might, have always been in my blood as far as interests have been concerned. I'll stay away from it, but always come back. A huge portion of this very blog has been devoted to baseball. And both Chicago teams have been mentioned numerous time. I guess I just explained why.





References


Sports Reference LLC. Baseball-Reference.com - Major League Statistics and Information. http://www.baseball-reference.com/. Web. (11 Dec. 2015)


Retrosheet  www.retrosheet.org. Web. (11 Dec. 2015)

Youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/. Web. (11 Dec. 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment