Sunday, June 21, 2015

Baseball And Father's Day

Well, Happy Father's Day to all the sports dads out there. You persistence and passion in getting 'em to the game or practice on time never gets enough appreciation. My father was one such parent to myself and my two brothers. And we have all grown up to like sports.

As for things I do every Father's Day. Well, let's start with baseball, right? How about a movie? Field Of Dreams. I saw that movie for the first time in the early 90s, I think. From the start, it led me down the path of Shoeless Joe Jackson and the 1919 World Series. Poor Joe, for something he probably didn't realize what the consequences were, had to take the fall for that Fall Classic. As for the film's accuracy, Joe batted left and threw right. In the film, Joe batter right and threw left. Moonlight Graham's one game was actually June 29th, 1905. Not the last game of the regular season in 1922. The book, Shoeless Joe, which the movie is based on, gets the correct date. But both the novel and movie state that Graham played just a half of an inning in the outfield. Graham played the bottom of the eighth and ninth, but did not bat.



Jim Bunning is one of my favourite Father's Day story. In 1964, as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies, he tossed a perfect game against the Mets. The final score was 6-0 for Philly, but there's a little known fact to this game. Bunning delivered two RBIs, for good measure. The Phillies, weren't so good down the stretch as they had the pennant in the bag. 6 1/2 with 12 to play, before a 10-game losing streak derailed their hopes. I met Jim Bunning earlier this year at a forum for the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team (Not to be confused with the hockey team) and we had a great conversation.



My father was a huge Yankee fan in the Mantle era of the 50s and 60s. I'd read dad's books cover to cover, and it made me a fan of the game from back then, appreciating the history. Recently, I decided to renew my interest in baseball, which was at it's peak in the early 90s when the Jays were winning. Time to get back to that, Toronto!

My father and I went to our first game together May 29, 1992. Toronto beat Chicago 3-0. We made it a point to go to some games after that. My big regret was my interest in baseball started to wane in the early 2000s. I'd still read and watch about the history of it, but that was it.

But dad and I made it back to the Roger's Centre last year, and for the first time since 2001. Actually, we went to two games last year. And I went to the season finale. 2015 saw dad and I go twice more. On May 24th, we saw the Jays pound Seattle 8-2. Likewise, on the 17th of June they pounded the Mets 8-0, bringing back memories of the 1993 team with all this offence.



A big thank you to my father, for making me a baseball fan. It's been quite a journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment