Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Why I Think The Price Is The Right Guy...

...to send to Sochi!

I was reading the lastest Sportsnet magazine about Carey Price. I didn't manage to finish it. But I think Price is a great candidate to play goal for Canada. Maybe not the number 1 goalie, but 1B or even a 1A.

I should offer a few disclaimers:

Do I Roberto Luongo should go? Based on his play, and the way he handled the situation last year with the Canucks, yes! I don't want to brag, but remember what I said last season? Oh yeah, who was in net in 2010? Exactly!

How about Mike Smith? Tough situation for him too. But there he is, night after night. Hey, if we need a goal, he can even do that!



Okay, so now we have three pretty good goalies. Liking our chances?

But here's why I like Price (and Luongo got hurt his last game for good measure). Remember about what I said about Randy Cunneyworth having the worst job in hockey? I think Price has the second worst!

Your a goalie in Montreal and it's a whole new ballgame. Believe me, there is no, "meaningless regular season" games in Montreal. You always get compared (unfavourably, of course) to names like Vezina, Hainsworth, Durnan, Plante, Dryden, Roy. Somedays, you just can't win!

But Price is played well this year and is showing a lot of poise. Here are his numbers and his league rank:

Wins: 17 (6)

Shots Against: 906 (4th)

Saves: 844 (4th)

Save Percentage: .932 (6th)

Goals Against Average: 2.10 (8)

Shutouts: 2 (9th)

He may not be there are far as leading the league in any categories, but he's almost there in a lot of places. Price is also 6th in games played and 6th in minutes played. So he can handle the load.

The big knock against him is his lack of postseason success. Okay, perhaps Carey doesn't have it at the NHL level. Fair enough. But what about the next highest level? AHL!

Back in 2007, all Price did was lead the Hamilton Bulldogs to the Calder Trophy. Oh, that wasn't the only hardware Carey skated off with.

He also won the prestigious Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the MVP of the playoffs. I know, that's a long way from the Conn Smythe award. But Price was just the third teenager ever to win it. He had the poise as a teenager. If he's in net for Canada and Carey has it, it could be a golden moment to talk about for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment