Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Music To The Ears: Sing A Song Of Sports!

Ever listen to a song that reminds you of your favourite athlete? I've seen my share on television and now on YouTube. Not just a disclaimer, I'm not talking about theme songs to sports shows. It is the songs that I've seen playing behind player highlights, etc. Remember some of these "gems" ?

5) Thirteen Johnsons - Max Kantor

Ah, this one!

I actually wasn't surprised to find this on the "Pride And Passion" VHS release back in 1984. Some years later, I was remarking how many players were named Johnson in the NBA (Around 1990ish). Think, Vinny, Dennis Magic, Kevin (Who wasn't there in '84, surprisingly).
Anytime, to this day, whenever I see someone with the last name of Johnson, this rap (annoying by some accounts, just ask two of my brothers) comes right to my head.

Heck, I got addicted to it at a few years ago when I bought the Boston Celtics NBA dynasty series DVD.

Without further adieu, THIRTEEN JOHNSONS!


4) I Don't Want To Be The One - Trisha Yearwood

A was searching YouTube for clips of Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus, when I came across this video (see below) of them from the 1967 US Open. A real jewel of a duel.

Now, really, that song shouldn't be there. Still, I've come to hear this song in my head when I have a long putt and miss it. One of my motivations for making long putts, I guess.


3) Summer In The City - Lovin' Spoonful

Ever seen Ken Burns' great Baseball series? Carl Yastrzemski had perhaps the best two weeks (well, last two weeks) of any baseball player in such a tight pennant race. Boston, Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago were all "right there" in that time in 1967 (Even 5th place California was 84-77). Yaz took off in the Red Sox last 15 games:

.491 BA (27/55)
15 R
5 HR
18 RBI

And Ken Burns has put together another nice montage. If you have actually seen it, the clips are almost all from the World Series, which Yaz followed up on by hitting .400 with 3 homeruns! The clip ends with a kinescope of the last game of the season with Yaz getting a key hit to knock in two more.


2) The Empire Strikes Back - Meco

A kind of Star Wars disco stuff that I'm sure my older brother would have loved. But, also, if you recall the early to mid 1980s, when the Edmonton Oilers scored a goal at home, this song would ring out. Particularly, I think of Gretzky scoring on Billy Smith in the 1984 Stanley Cup Finals on a breakaway.

It must have been sad to be the opposition in these situations. The Oilers, at home, up 5 or 6 goals and they're just getting warmed up, more to come! I sort of picture the crowd going nuts!

I must apologize for anyone who hated the Oilers. This is one TUNE OUT for you!

But hey, enjoy some Star Wars. You can't hate that!


1) Green Onions Booker T And The MGs

Back to Ken Burns' Baseball.

Just got through with Sandy Koufax's journey to greatness. Well, you guessed it, Ken Burns pulled off a montage of his pitching, striking out one batter after another, and even an audio call of his perfect game.

With Sandy, I just have a vision of him throwing a fastball or curveball and the batters missing it. The song (instrumental, for those unaware) actually seems fitting. For Koufax, it was always a feeling of an unfair situation for the batter. Koufax was THAT much better than all pitchers from 1962 - 1966!





No comments:

Post a Comment